ABOUT BLUE LAKE KHAR ZURKH
Blue Lake, also known as Khar Zurkh, is a picturesque alpine lake located in the Khovd Province of western Mongolia. It is renowned for its stunning blue color and pristine surroundings. Here are some key features and highlights of Blue Lake Khar Zurkh:
GOOD TO KNOW
- Natural Beauty: Blue Lake is celebrated for its captivating beauty. The lake gets its name from its vibrant blue color, which is caused by the reflection of the sky and the surrounding mountains. The crystal-clear waters of the lake create a mirror-like surface, enhancing the scenic views. The surrounding landscape is characterized by rugged mountains, rocky cliffs, and lush green meadows, adding to the picturesque charm of the area.
- Alpine Environment: Blue Lake is situated at an altitude of approximately 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) above sea level, nestled within the Altai Mountains. The alpine environment contributes to the pristine and untouched nature of the lake. The surrounding mountains provide a dramatic backdrop, and the air is crisp and refreshing. The area is also home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, with wildflowers blooming during the summer months.
- Trekking and Hiking: Blue Lake is a popular destination for trekking and hiking enthusiasts. There are various trekking routes that lead to the lake, allowing visitors to explore the breathtaking landscapes of the Altai Mountains. Trekking options cater to different skill levels, ranging from moderate to challenging routes. Along the way, hikers can enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, making it a rewarding outdoor adventure.
- Fishing and Wildlife: Blue Lake is known for its fish population, particularly Siberian grayling and lenok. Fishing enthusiasts can try their luck in the lake's pristine waters and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings. The area is also inhabited by diverse wildlife, including argali sheep, ibex, marmots, and various bird species. Nature lovers have the opportunity to spot and appreciate the region's unique wildlife.
- Cultural Significance: Blue Lake holds cultural significance for the local Kazakh nomadic herders who reside in the area. The Kazakh people have a deep connection to the lake and its surroundings, incorporating it into their traditions and folklore. Visitors may have the chance to learn about the Kazakh nomadic way of life, interact with local communities, and experience their customs and hospitality.
- Remote and Untouched Setting: Blue Lake Khar Zurkh is located in a relatively remote part of Mongolia, far away from urban centers. The remote setting adds to the charm and serenity of the lake, providing a peaceful and tranquil escape from the bustling world. It offers a chance to reconnect with nature, immerse oneself in the pristine environment, and appreciate the untouched beauty of Mongolia's landscapes.
Visiting Blue Lake Khar Zurkh provides an opportunity to marvel at the breathtaking natural beauty of the Altai Mountains and immerse oneself in the tranquility of the remote surroundings. Whether it's trekking through the mountains, fishing in the clear waters, or simply enjoying the stunning views, Blue Lake offers a memorable and serene experience for nature lovers and adventure seekers.