Khar Us Lake
ABOUT KHAR US LAKE
Visiting Khar Us Lake allows you to experience the natural beauty of the Mongolian steppe and enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing, birdwatching, and exploring the surrounding landscapes. It also provides an opportunity to learn about the local cultures and traditions of the Khovd Province.
Khar Us Lake is a large freshwater lake located in the Khovd Province of Mongolia. Here's some information about Khar Us Lake:
- Location: Khar Us Lake is situated in the western part of Mongolia, specifically in the Khovd Province. It is part of the Great Lakes Depression, which includes several interconnected lakes in the region.
- Size and Geography: Khar Us Lake is one of the largest lakes in Mongolia, covering an area of approximately 1,852 square kilometers. It is a shallow lake with an average depth of about 3 meters. The lake is surrounded by vast steppe landscapes, mountains, and sand dunes, offering a diverse and picturesque setting.
- Biodiversity: Khar Us Lake is ecologically significant and supports a rich diversity of flora and fauna. The lake and its surrounding wetlands serve as important habitats for migratory birds, including various species of waterfowl. It is a designated Ramsar site, recognized for its importance as a wetland of international significance.
- Fishing and Wildlife: The lake is known for its fish population, particularly pike and perch. Fishing is a popular activity for locals and visitors alike. The surrounding areas also support a variety of wildlife, including wild boars, foxes, and numerous bird species, making it a great destination for nature lovers and birdwatchers.
- Cultural Significance: The Khovd Province is home to diverse ethnic groups, including the Kazakh, Uriankhai, and Torguud communities. Each community has its own distinct traditions, customs, and cultural practices, which adds to the cultural richness of the region.